The guidelines below are for information purposes only. We strongly recommend that you click on the links and speak to your solicitor or conveyancer, and the relevant government departments, to make sure you have the most up to date information as it changes regularly.
Tasmanian HomeBuilder Grant.
- Applications for the Tasmanian HomeBuilder Grant are now CLOSED.
- The Tasmanian Government extended its existing $20 000 HomeBuilder Grant by three months from 1 January 2021 to 31 March 2021 for owner-occupiers of eligible new home builds.
- The Grant is available to owner-occupiers for eligible new home builds where the contract was signed between 4 June 2020 and 31 March 2021 inclusive. The grant is not available for the substantial renovation of your existing home. However, it is available for the demolition and building of a new home under the new home limb rather than the substantial renovation limb.
Commonwealth HomeBuilder Grant.
- Applications for the Commonwealth HomeBuilder Grant are now CLOSED.
- $25 000 Commonwealth HomeBuilder Grant is available for eligible owner-occupiers (including first home buyers) building a new home, or substantially renovating an existing home, where the contract is signed between 4 June 2020 and 31 December 2020 (inclusive).
- $15 000 Commonwealth HomeBuilder is available for eligible owner-occupiers (including first home buyers) building a new home, or substantially renovating an existing home, where the contract is signed between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021 (inclusive).
Change announced by the Commonwealth Government on 17 April 2021
The Commonwealth Government will extend the HomeBuilder Grant construction commencement requirement from six (6) months to 18 months for a new home build or a substantial renovation. This would apply for applicants who had signed building contracts between the 4 June 2020 and 31 March 2021 inclusive. Click here to read the full fact sheet.
* * *
Tasmanian First Home Owner Grant.
- If the applicant has been paid or will be paid the First Home Owner Grant, the Tasmanian HomeBuilder Grant is not available for the same transaction.
- Applicants may be eligible for the First Home Owner Grant as well as the Commonwealth HomeBuilder Grant for the same transaction.
Applying for the grant.
All Other states FHOG information:
* * *
Duty concession for first home buyers of established homes (TAS).
Announced 16 March 2021.
Change to duty concession for first home buyers of established homes – Tasmania only.
The duty concession provides a 50 per cent discount on property transfer duty for first home buyers of established homes. The dutiable value of a property that may be eligible for the 50 per cent discount on property transfer duty has increased from $400 000 to $500 000. All existing eligibility criteria must be met. The increase takes immediate effect but is subject to the passage of legislation.
How to apply.
- Refer to the Duty concession for first home buyers of established homes factsheet.
- Lodge a Duty concession for first home buyers application form.
Your solicitor or conveyancer will assist you to apply for the concession, and to seek a duty refund. Please yell out or email team(at)uploans.com.au if you have any questions around the grants.
* * *
For further information on the building process and everything it entails, you can read our Home Building Guide, starting with stage 1 here: www.uploans.com.au/stage1